Sunday, July 15, 2017 — Justine Damond, A 40-year-old Australian white woman was shot dead by a Minneapolis Police Department Officer.
Damond had called the police to report a potential sexual assault of a female in an alley behind her house; reports state that she heard the voice of a woman either having sex or being raped. When officers arrived on the scene, Damond went outside to speak with them.
According to the Star Tribune, Justine Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door of the responding police squad car and began talking to the officers.
Moments later, one of the officers inside the squad car, who has been identified as Mohamed Noor, shot across his partner from the passenger’s seat, killing Damond.
What makes this case of police brutality different from most that we cover, is that Mohamed Noor is a black (Somali-American) man who killed an unarmed white woman. Many people in the black community are interested to see how this case plays out.
As we have seen time and time again, when unarmed black people are killed by the police, the officer usually gets off. Everyone is wondering if Justine Damond’s tragic case will be different because of her race. Will Damond receive justice?
Justine Damond Killed
Black People That Called Police For Help & Were Killed:
- Alfred Olango
- Charleena Lyles
- Carl Williams
Facts You Need To Know:
- Officer Matthew Harrity, was the driver of the squad car.
- Noor had three formal complaints against him, two of which are still to be resolved. In a separate case from May 2017 he was sued for allegedly assaulting a woman.
- The family of Justine Damond retained US attorney Robert Bennett, the same lawyer who represented the family of Philando Castile.
- Both Matthew Harrity & Mohamed Noor had their body cameras turned off.
- Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the Australian government wanted answers.
- Justine Damond was unarmed.
- Justine was trained as a veterinarian, but played multiple roles in her community: yoga instructor, a personal health and life coach and meditation teacher.
- Matthew Harrity Didn’t fire at Damond.
- A source said Damond’s cellphone was found near her body.
- Justine Damond died from a gunshot wound to abdomen.
We will have to wait for more details of the story to unfold. But at first pass of this case, it seems like Mohamed Noor could have mistaken Justine Damond’s cell phone as a gun? ABC News Reported that there was a loud sound just before the shooting, could that have made Noor think that he was being shot at?
One thing we can conclude is that this case shows how reckless and corrupt American policing truly is. Why were the officers body cameras turned off? Why was Mohamed Noor still working as a officer despite having so many complaints? Let’s see what time reveals.
Justine Damond Killed